Do you feel overwhelmed with the all the news, the conflicting opinions on social media, the prevalence of ‘fake’ news, and not knowing who to believe?
Wondering whether you need a heavenly social media detox?
If so, you’re not alone. Many people are feeling the same – and are having dreams which address this very thing.
In this article, we will investigate some of the ways God could be speaking to us about this in our dreams. We will also remind ourselves where we should really be looking for help.
A change of focus
I have felt God’s Spirit urging me to write about this subject. So if this post has caught your eye – then maybe it is a timely word for you!
I am part of various social media groups where night dreams are constantly shared and discussed. I have lately noticed a number of dreams addressing how people are getting dragged down by what they are hearing in the news and social media – and suggesting a change of focus.
God is clearly saying to lots of people;
“Be careful what you are listening to – and make sure you come and listen to ME“.
Obviously there are many big issues in world news at the moment. There are a lot of different viewpoints, and it can all can get pretty disconcerting. I think there is a danger that we can lose our peace; of feeling worried, anxious, swamped, or even overwhelmed by everything, if we ignore the warning signs that God gives us.
I suggest that we can only find inner peace if we choose to make God our source of information and well-being.
What does the bible say?
There are some wonderful bible verses about God being our true source. Here are a few of my favourites:
- Isaiah 55:1 [God] Everyone who thirsts, come to the waters; And you who have no money come, buy and eat.
- Matthew 11:28 [Jesus] Come to Me, all who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest.
- John 4:14 [Jesus] Whoever drinks of the water that I will give him shall never be thirsty; but the water that I will give him will become in him a fountain of water springing up to eternal life.
So if we choose to make Jesus our source:
- We will find fullness of life.
- We will be satisfied, not needing to keep searching elsewhere.
- We will find rest, which is the opposite of feeling anxious.
What about going to other sources?
In the bible, the life of the prophet Hosea, and his marriage to a prostitute, is an allegory of God’s relationship with Israel. Hosea could provide everything his wife needed, and told her that he would – yet she kept rejecting it and going off to find ‘clients’ because of what they gave her.
In the same way God was Israel’s ‘husband’ and provider, yet as a nation she kept looking elsewhere for help; she kept making agreements with other nations, such as Egypt, rather than seeking God’s help. It got her into all kinds of trouble.
Are we doing the same today? God is our ‘husband’ in a metaphorical sense, and can provide everything we need. Are we looking to Him, or looking elsewhere? And how would we know if we were?
Well, I think our dreams can give us a pretty good clue, if we pay attention to them.
How might this subject appear in our dreams?
Here are a few dream images that God can use to get us thinking about where we are seeking answers from:
- Going shopping: Shopping is going somewhere to get something. The shop can represent our source. Where are you shopping? In a nice place or a dodgy place?
- Drinking: Drinking is receiving something. Are you drinking clear pure water, or dirty water? God’s Living Word would be clear water, for example from a spring, fountain, water dispenser or mains tap. Dirty or muddy water has man’s thinking mixed in with it.
- Eating: Eating is taking things in, like listening to something and accepting it. What are you eating? Healthy food or unhealthy food? And where are you getting it from?
- Swimming in water: Are you swimming in clear water or dirty water? Clear flowing water like a river is usually the Holy spirit, but muddy water has man’s influence in it. Which one is influencing your life?
- Sea or lake: This can represent a community of people, with the sea being the whole world. So if you are in a lake you are part of a community – physically or online. Is it clear or dirty? Helpful or unhelpful?
Listening to the wrong sources can lead to confused thinking or lack of clarity. Some images that commonly indicate that we are not thinking straight are:
- Hair: Can be about our thinking. So straight hair can be thinking straight, but messy or tangled hair can be muddled thinking. Going to the hairdresser can be going to God to get our thinking back in order.
- Teeth: Teeth falling out can represent not being able to think things over clearly. Going to the dentist can be going to God to help get our thinking straight again.
- Computer: Can represent our thinking (our brain processing things). So is it working properly? Are the wires tangled? Does it need repairing?
- Attic room: A messy attic, or needing to tidy up the attic, can also be about our thoughts being in a mess, because the attic is at the top of a house, like our brain is at the top of our bodies.
So if you dream about any of those – it could be an invitation to come back to God for His perspective.
More thoughts about water: Sometimes the water is overwhelming us: we are sinking or drowning or in a stormy sea. That is just simply illustrating our feeling of being overwhelmed by life, and what is going on around us.
Also, remember that a community (e.g. a lake in a dream) could just as easily be a social media group that you are part of as your physical community. The sea could represent world news media just as easily as it could the physical nations.
A real dream
About four years ago God spoke to me through a dream. This is the dream:
Dream: Visiting the church coffee bar
I was at my usual church with lots of other people. The coffee bar was in an area up some steps, so I went up there to get a drink. As I walked up, there was black material covering the floor with newspapers underneath. This made it very hard to walk on.
I went to the coffee bar and got a drink. To my surprise, there was hardly anyone there. (In real life it would normally have been packed with people getting drinks). I wondered why nobody else was coming up to get a drink.
The coffee bar: The setting of this dream was my church coffee bar. A coffee bar is where you go to get a drink. So the church was symbolising my spiritual life as a Christian, and the coffee bar symbolised where I was going to receive information.
The steps: The steps indicated going to a higher place; seeking heaven’s perspective; a higher perspective.
The newspaper: In order to get to God’s perspective, I had to walk over the newspapers. The newspapers represented the ‘news’: i.e. everything that ‘people’ were saying. This could be the press, social media, even people around me. I would have to ignore all that, because it was a dodgy foundation.
God was telling me that I was going to walk a different path to most people. He was calling me to come up higher and listen to Him, not what the world was saying; not the news, social media, or even the general church chit-chat. There wouldn’t be many people doing the same as me.
I have walked the above path since then, so I know what I’m talking about! I have had great peace in the midst of some very turbulent years of our nation’s journey. Others around me were very disturbed by events. But I can honestly say that I was not shaken, because I stayed listening to God, and I knew that He was still in control.
I do still watch the news occasionally, particularly at significant moments, and read the news headlines most days – but I don’t focus on it too much. But I do pray over my dreams every day and spend time with God – that’s my priority!
I’m not suggesting that you totally avoid the news or social media (unless God specifically tells you to). But I am suggesting that if it is starting to steal your peace, then maybe it’s time to take a break from it and seek God’s perspective. And by seeking God’s perspective, I mean personally taking time out with God, in quiet, and listening to Him directly.
It could be time to turn off the news, and spend time with God.
Jesus promises that if we come to Him, He will give us peace (John 14:27, Philippians 4:7).
In these days of social media explosion, I do believe that we need to be very careful, and guard our hearts from becoming overwhelmed. This seems to be a topic on God’s heart right now, and He is speaking to His people about it though dreams.
God loves us and longs for us to live in peace and fullness of life. If He sees us getting overwhelmed or distracted, He will let us know, though our dreams or in other ways, so we can make the necessary adjustments.
So if this article has caught your attention, then maybe it’s time to re-evaluate things – maybe it’s time to turn the phone off and take some time out with God.
If you have a dream that you think relates to this article in some way, feel free to share in the comments below. For anything else, please do join my Facebook Group, to discuss dreams and connect with others on a similar journey.
- Why don’t I remember my dreams anymore?
- Dream symbols: The colour brown and what it means
- 5 tips for interpreting your own dreams successfully
- Why does God speak in dreams and parables?
- Understand your dreams: A bible-based introduction to dream language