Best Christian books, courses, plus free online resources for understanding night dreams.
Searching for good Christ-centred dream interpretation resources?
There are so many books and training materials available online – so how do you know which ones can be trusted?
As a longtime church leader and bible teacher with experience of dreams, I have done the research for you – and compiled the ones I have found the most helpful.
I approach dream interpretation from a biblical perspective. My belief is that our dreams can come from God, and understanding them is best understood within the context of an ongoing relationship with Him.
If you have just come across this post and are new to dream interpretation, it is worth mentioning that dreams are symbolic in nature. You might find it helpful to read Understand your dreams: A bible-based introduction to dream language and my 3 step dream interpretation method to give you a foundation.
The need for good dream training
The first step to successfully interpreting your dreams is to gain some basic understanding of dream language and the interpretation process.
There are some common mistakes that new dream interpreters make, which can easily be avoided through proper training – whether that is in person, online or from a book.
- Splash out and invest in some good training materials – this is usually the quickest way to learn, and you won’t regret it!
- There are also plenty of free resources in this list if you just want a taster. Why not subscribe to a good YouTube channel, podcast or blog; or follow a Facebook Page?
- Choose the type of media that best fits into your lifestyle.
Using dream symbol dictionaries
If you are interested in dreams, eventually you will need help interpreting a symbol. You will probably reach for a dictionary or use one of the online sources.
Please be aware that dreams are very personal, so the meaning in a dictionary is not always applicable to your dream.
A dream dictionary is a good way to throw up potential ideas and possibilities – just don’t rely on them too heavily! I explain this more fully in the article below.
Why the bible is the best dream dictionary – and it’s free!
Using dream interpretation services
I am convinced that the best approach to dreams is to learn to interpret your own dreams. That is why I have compiled this list. It does take time and effort, but it is well worth it.
However, I have listed some places where you can submit dreams for interpretation. These are ones that I know use well trained dream interpreters who will also pray about your dream.
There are numerous Facebook groups for posting dreams. Most of these are unregulated and everyone has a different opinion about what your dream means – which is not very helpful!
For this reason I recommend using some good training like the ones I have listed below. Get input from more experienced interpreters while you are first learning. Check out this article for more on this subject:
Why you should learn to interpret your dreams – and when help is useful
Ministries with a variety of dream resources
Streams ministries was founded by the late John Paul Jackson, who was a gifted prophet and dream interpreter. I have found his courses to be excellent, particularly The Art of Hearing God, and Understanding Dreams and Visions. I took those two courses live, and they were foundational to my understanding of dreams. Here is a link to the online courses page.
- There are also excellent MP3 sets such as the Signature Series MP3 bundle on dreams.
- Streams ministries YouTube channel has many helpful videos from John Thomas about dream interpretation, common dream symbols and much more. There are also archives of teaching from John Paul Jackson.
- You can follow their Facebook Page which covers many aspects of prophetic ministry.
If you’re looking for a book, then Top 20 Dreams is a good bet. Not only does it explain the meaning of many of the most common dreams, but I also found the examples to be invaluable in terms of how to work that knowledge into a helpful and positive interpretation.
BEST FOR: Great resources in a variety of media formats
Headed up by Mark and Patti Virkler, this ministry has plenty of resources relating to Spirit-filled living and hearing God’s voice. I recommend 4 keys to Hearing God’s voice, which teaches how to hear God through two way journaling. I have used this tool to journal through my dreams with God (as well as in my general prayer life).
- Learn about the DAESI Dream Work Method (this is their dream interpretation process). This method is particularly helpful for determining what area of your life a dream is about.
- They have some useful DVD and MP3 packages. The teaching by Charity Virkler Kayembe is excellent.
- You can check out their free introduction to dreams.
- Charity has a blog you can follow called Glory Waves.
Occasionally they offer one of their online courses free for a short period of time, and I have found it worth subscribing to their mailing list for that reason at least.
They also have a book called Hearing God Through Your Dreams. This is a comprehensive introduction with their DAESI dream interpretation process and plenty of real dream examples. Charity draws from her knowledge of quantum physics and hearing God’s voice to talk about dreams. There is a section about scary dreams.
BEST FOR: Relating dream meanings to your everyday life
Tony and Dwee Cooke head up Streams Training Centre England, and I took my dreams training with them. They run an excellent course called Making Sense of Your Dreams which was pioneered as a live workshop and is now available online. Their ministry has a prophetic flavour.
If you are looking for a community to learn the biblical model of dream interpretation, then you can subscribe to The Dream Academy for a small monthly fee. Once you are a member:
- You have the opportunity to share dreams for interpretation
- You will learn from experienced dream interpreters
- You can join in Zoom sessions.
- You can take online courses such as Making Sense of Your Dreams at an additional cost.
- Once you have taken the basic course you can practice interpreting other peoples’ dreams.
Useful features of their training includes the steps to dream interpretation which is a great tool for beginners, and a list of questions you can ask in order to interpret any dream symbol.
- The online commmunity has members from all around the world, not just UK.
- This is a paid subscription, but well worth it if you embrace the community aspect.
BEST FOR: Being mentored in an online community
Doug Addison is a prophetic speaker, author and coach. At his online store there are a variety of books and online courses., including some about dreams.
- He is best known for his Daily Prophetic Words and Spirit Connection webcast.
- The dreams course is called The Dream Crash Course
- From that link you test out a free Dreams Jump-Start course to see whether it is right for you.
If you want a book, Understand Your Dreams Now is a concise but comprehensive introduction to dream interpretation. It lays out a simple interpretation method with the emphasis on how to reach a dream interpretation quickly. There is also a good section on dreams in children.
BEST FOR: An easy-to-understand introduction to dreams
Michael’s book Dream Stories gives a brief overview of dreams throughout church history and in culture. But the primary treasure to be found here is that he gives numerous modern examples of real dreams, their interpretation, and how they impacted the lives of the people who had them.
- On Michael’s website you can submit dreams to be interpreted by students.
- On his YouTube channel there are a number of good videos, including explanations of dream symbols.
- There are also many dream symbols discussed on the website – and I have found these very useful.
- They have a podcast and blog which you can find on the website
- There is a Facebook Page where you can follow all these things.
BEST FOR: Real dream examples
This is the ministry of James W. Goll. The focus is on prophecy and hearing God’s voice.
- He has on online course on dreams with a free taster
- There is also a book version available there called Dream Language
This ministry is headed up by David E. Taylor and has a prophecy and miracle healing flavour. There are some useful resources relating to dreams on the website – including a number of books on dreams.
- There is a free dream dictionary which can be useful for ideas – but remember the suggested meaning may not necessarily apply to your dream.
- You can submit a dream to their website for interpretation. Click on the DREAM INTERPRETATION tab at the top of the website and a pop-up box will appear to submit your dream.
Useful books for dream interpretation
The Name Book by Dorothy Astoria
This is my most used dream reference book! It is essentially a list of names with their meanings. It also contains a suggested spiritual connotation and bible verse for each one. It is extremely useful for interpreting the symbolic meaning of people in dreams. I have it on Kindle so it’s always with me.
BEST FOR: Spiritual meaning of names
The Bible-Based Dictionary of Prophetic Symbols by Dr. Joe Ibojie
If you want to buy a dream symbol dictionary there are a number available. This is a good one!
It is a comprehensive dictionary of dream symbols with application ideas, including a good explanation of how to approach symbolic language in dreams. It includes the expanded version of the best selling Illustrated Bible-Based Dictionary of Dream Symbols and is very practical and acessible.
BEST FOR: Understanding dream symbols
Here are some more books that come recommended by people I trust. I have included links to their ministry when they have other free dream materials such as videos and blogs on their website.
Introduction to dreams
- Dreams and Visions by Dr Joe Ibojie
- Understanding the Dreams you Dream by Ira Milligan
- Dreams and Visions by Jane Hamon
- The Dreams we Dream by Murray Dueck (Samuel’s Mantle)
- Seeing the Voice of God by Laura Harris Smith (LHS mmistries)
Dream dictionaries and reference books
- The Divinity Code by Adam F Thompson & Adrian Beale
- Number in Scripture by E.W.Bullinger
Testimonies and stories
- Dreams and Visions: Is Jesus awakening the Muslim world? by Tom Doyle
- Dreams and Supernatural Encounters by Julie Meyer
- Parables, Dreams and Encounters by Jacquie Robinson (Chozeh Connections)
I hope you have found this article helpful. Do comment if you try any of the resources – and let us know how you got on with them!
Feel free to comment if you know of other useful resources too. I will take a look, and if I find them helpful I will update this post.
I also have a variety of articles on dream interpretation in my blog.
I hope you have found this article helpful. If you want to know more, do subscribe to my emails below to receive regular dream interpretation tips.
The purpose of this blog is to provide solid biblical foundations for interpreting dreams, change mindsets in the church, and encourage others to make their own dream journey. I am primarily a writer and bible teacher – who loves dreams, and I hope you will be inspired to learn to interpret your own dreams.
It is not currently my aim to routinely engage in dream interpretations or provide training, except through writing blog posts. You can read my most up to date position on interpreting dreams here: Requests for dream interpretations.
Subscribe to get the latest dream interpretation tips!
Don’t miss out! Sign up to recieve email notifications of new articles.
A simple introduction to the dream interpretation process in 3 easy-to-remember steps.
Taking inspiration from the bible to understand the symbolic language of dreams, plus real dream examples.
How I learned to hear God’s voice through interpreting dreams – and how that changed my life.
- Beginner’s guide to biblical dream interpretation
- How dream work can revitalise your morning prayer time
- Requests for dream interpretations
- Biblical meaning of colours in dreams
- The importance of background colour and atmosphere in dreams