What’s a cookie?
- A “cookie” is a piece of information that is stored on your computer’s hard drive if you agree to this and which records how you move your way around a website so that, when you revisit that website, it can present tailored options based on the information stored about your last visit. Cookies can also be used to analyse traffic and for advertising and marketing purposes.
- Cookies are used by nearly all websites and do not harm your system.
We are required to obtain your consent for all non-essential cookies used on our website. You can block cookies (including essential cookies) at any time by activating the setting on your browser that allows you to refuse the setting of all or some cookies. However, if you use your browser settings to block essential cookies you may not be able to access all or parts of our site.
Cookies are either:
- Session cookies: these are only stored on your computer during your web session and are automatically deleted when you close your browser – they usually store an anonymous session ID allowing you to browse a website without having to log in to each page but they do not collect any personal data from your computer; or
- Persistent cookies: a persistent cookie is stored as a file on your computer and it remains there when you close your web browser. The cookie can be read by the website that created it when you visit that website again. We use persistent cookies for Google Analytics.
Cookies can also be categorised as follows:
- Strictly necessary cookies: These cookies are essential to enable you to use the website effectively, such as when buying a product and / or service. Without these cookies, the services available to you on our website cannot be provided. These cookies do not gather information about you that could be used for marketing or remembering where you have been on the internet.
- Performance cookies: These cookies enable us to monitor and improve the performance of our website. For example, they allow us to count visits, identify traffic sources and see which parts of the site are most popular.
- Functionality cookies: These cookies allow our website to remember choices you make and provide enhanced features. For instance, we may be able to provide you with news or updates relevant to the services you use. They may also be used to provide services you have requested such as viewing a video or commenting on a blog. The information these cookies collect is usually anonymised.
- Targeting cookies: These cookies record your visit to our website, the pages you have visited and the links you have followed. We will use this information to make our website and the advertising displayed on it more relevant to your interests.
- First and third party cookies: First party cookies are cookies set by our website. Third party cookies are cookies on our website that are set by a website other than our website, such as where we have adverts on our website or use Facebook pixels so that we can show you relevant content from us when you are on Facebook. We use third party cookies on our website and these are set out in the table below.
You can find more information about the individual cookies we use and the purposes for which we use them in the table below:
|Provider||Cookie Name||Purpose and duration|
|Amazon||KindlePlayer||Necessary to implement the website’s e-book reader. Persistent.|
|Amazon||testLocalStorage||Necessary to detect whether the website can store user data in local storage. Persistent.|
|Amazon||csm-hit||Determines which products the user has viewed, allowing the website to promote related products. 1 year.|
|Collects information on user behaviour to optimize the relevance of advertisements. Session|
|Amazon||csm:adb||Collects information on user behaviour to optimize the relevance of advertisements. Persistent.|
|CONSENT||Used to detect if the visitor has accepted the marketing category in the cookie banner. 2 years.|
|Used to generate statistical data on how the visitor uses the website. 2 years.|
|Amazon||td||Googletagmanager.com cookie. Session.|
|MailerLite||mailerlite:webform:shown:#||Used by MailerLite pop-ups to determine if a website visitor has accepted the marketing category in the cookie banner. Persistent.|
|Cookies used by WordPress.com. Session.|
|YouTube||__sak||Used to save information about the visitor’s video settings. Session.|
|Used for YouTube video-content on the website. Session.|
|YouTube||LAST_RESULT_ENTRY_KEY||Used for YouTube video-content on the website. 1 day.|
|YouTube||LogsDatabaseV2:V6fd937d3||#LogsRequestsStore ServiceWorkerLogsDatabase#SWHealthLog||Used for YouTube video-content on the website. Persistent.|
|YouTube||YSC||Keeps statistics of what videos from YouTube the user has seen. Session.|
|YouTube||DEVICE_INFO||Used to track user’s interaction with embedded content. 180 days.|
|YouTube||VISITOR_INFO1_LIVE||Tries to estimate the users’ bandwidth on pages with integrated YouTube videos. 180 days.|
|Stores the user’s video player preferences using embedded YouTube video. Session.|
|Stores the user’s video player preferences using embedded YouTube video. Persistent.|
You can control your cookie settings through your web browser.
You can opt out of being tracked by Google Analytics across all websites, by going to http://tools.google.com/dlpage/gaoptout.
If you have any questions about the cookies that we use, feel free to email us at email@example.com .